Plein Air Painting in the Park with Tom SolteszSat, June 3
The class will cover all aspects of Plein air painting in the park including materials and supplies. We will meet at 8 am in the picnic area where I will cover the basics of location painting including stories and examples of my paintings.
I will then take the class to a predetermined location with in walking distance of the parking lot where I will set up and do a one hour demonstration and talk.
Following the demo the artists should be ready to set up and do their own preferably small painting. I will walk around and give each student one on one instruction. We will break for lunch at 11:30 and resume at noon. The afternoon will be to continue working on the morning painting, or start fresh. We will finish at 3.
Tom Soltesz has been teaching the art of Plein air painting for over 25 years in the bay area and has shown and competed in many shows throughout California. www.tomsoltesz.com
Image Credit: Tom Soltesz, portion of the painting Sea Ranch from his Plein Air collection
-We will be meeting at the Bear Valley Picnic Area
– Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
– Refunds available for all classes 7 days in advance of the start date, after 7 days and before 2 days, participants can credit their class for a future date. All requests before 48 hours in advance will be declined. For COVID cancellation policy, see below.
– Please follow the parking instructions for the facility used that day
– Please provide an email you check regularly for updates and reminders about your class
– Registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes
– Sales end 48 hours before the start date.
– Waitlists are available when the class sells out
What to Bring
- field easel either a pochade box with tripod for painting on panels or a French easel that can be carried.
- 9 X 12 canvas panels 2 or more per day
- hogs bristle flat brushes for oils sizes 1-10 can be every other size. Rubber surgical gloves.
- paper towels, plastic bags, container for paint thinner, can be cheap hardware brand odorless preferred.
- oil paint medium windsor newton non toxic. Pallet knife and pallet for mixing.
- oil paints, titanium white, yellow lemon, yellow ochre, cadmium yellow med. Cadmium red, cadmium orange, alizarin crimson , ultramarine blue, cerulean blue, and transparent red oxide.
- hat, water, sun block, and insect spray. Bring a black apron if you have one. NO bright colors should be worn.
- Umbrella if you have one. Feel free to call me if you have any further questions. 415-383-2222
- Pallet either paper or wood and some mixing or pallet knifes size 1003 works for me.
Warm Variable Weather Clothing
Eventbrite Confirmation Email
About the PRNSA Field Institute
The PRNSA Field Institute offers hands-on environmental education classes throughout the year that foster enjoyment of Point Reyes National Seashore. Our classes are led by expert instructors, who take you out of your everyday life and into the natural world. We host a variety of classes about the arts and sciences and have something for everyone. You can reach the Field Institute at (415) 663-1200 x304 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in becoming a member of PRNSA? Click Here!
Interested in becoming a PRNSA Field Institute volunteer facilitator, or are you an outdoor educator or artist who would like to teach a PRNSA Field Institute class? Send an Email!
For any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines
In accordance with Marin County guidelines for public health and safety, we ask all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
• Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
• Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness
• Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
• Masks are optional but are strongly recommended when indoors or if gathered closely outside
• Please bring your own food and water
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions will be made for participants cancelling last minute due to COVID-19 infection or symptoms. Please contact us in this case.
Thank you for your cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.