Kayak Drakes Estero – Full Day TourSun, July 30
Join our partners at Blue Waters Kayaking for a unique aquatic tour of one of our most abundant ecosystems, Drakes Estero. A designated marine wilderness, the estero is an essential wildlife rich habitat where you may view a variety of birds and marine life.
We will meet at the parking lot of the former Drakes Bay Oyster Farm. After organizing gear and reviewing basic kayaking instructions and safety procedures, we’ll launch our kayaks and paddle out along Schooner Bay towards one of the other coves or fingers of Drakes Estero.
The waters and hillsides of Drakes Estero are rich in wildlife. As we glide over the eelgrass beds and kelp forest we’ll keep our eyes and ears open for harbor seals, bat rays, leopard sharks and a variety of land, water and shore birds.
-Class activities will be physically demanding
All guided tours are in tandem closed deck sea kayaks. Our double kayaks track well, are difficult to capsize, and are easy to maneuver. All the necessary gear such as life jackets, paddles, and spray skirts is provided.
We’ll go rain or shine.
-We will be meeting at the Drakes Estero Kayak Launch
– Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
– No refunds will be given for cancellations 7 days or fewer ahead of this class unless cancelled by organizers due to extreme weather or safety conditions.
– Please follow the parking instructions for the facility used that day
– Please provide an email you check regularly for updates and reminders about your class
– Registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes
– Waitlists are available when the class sells out
What to bring:
Come prepared for variable weather. Bring clothes that reflect your degree of sensitivity to heat and cold.
Sun screen & lip balm
Full water bottle
High energy snacks & lunch
Hat with brim for sun protection or wool/fleece hat for cool days; sunglasses (retention straps recommended for hats and sunglasses)
Quick-dry shorts or pants that can be rolled up (not cotton, not jeans)
Synthetic or wool long underwear for cold days
Base layer shirt (short or long sleeves) that dries quickly (tech/synthetic fabric or wool recommended; avoid cotton)
Fleece or wool warmth layer (long sleeve or vest) for cool days
Shoes you don’t mind getting wet: sport sandals, old sneakers/boots or rubber boots with wool socks, wetsuit booties, or aqua socks are all good options; please do not wear flip flops
Windbreaker/rain jacket (or wear a splash jacket provided by BWK)
You may want to bring a change of clothes for your ride home, including dry shoes & socks
About the PRNSA Field Institute
The PRNSA Field Institute offers hands-on environmental education classes throughout the year that foster enjoyment of Point Reyes National Seashore. Our classes are led by expert instructors, who take you out of your everyday life and into the natural world. We host a variety of classes about the arts and sciences and have something for everyone. You can reach the Field Institute at (415) 663-1200 x304 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in becoming a member of PRNSA? Click Here!
Interested in becoming a PRNSA Field Institute volunteer facilitator, or are you an outdoor educator or artist who would like to teach a PRNSA Field Institute class? Send an Email!
For any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines
In accordance with Marin County guidelines for public health and safety, we ask all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
• Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
• Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness
• Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
• Masks are optional but are strongly recommended when indoors or if gathered closely outside
• Please bring your own food and water
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions may be made for participants cancelling due to COVID-19 infection. Please contact us in this case.
Thank you for your cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.