Macro MagnificenceMay 14, 2022
Come celebrate the natural world and learn to photograph close-up where a flower becomes a world of its own. You’ll learn what macro photography is, what different magnification methods there are, and the trade offs of one approach over the others.
We’ll also discuss equipment choices and shooting techniques, including lighting and exposure, depth of field, and focusing. Finally, we’ll address challenges that shooting macro photography presents and how software can overcome some the inherent limitations of cameras and lenses.
Students will receive group and individual support with time divided between learning the tools and techniques of macro photography and shooting in the field. Please bring an adjustable camera that can focus to within a few inches of the lens (DSLRs and mirrorless cameras with a macro lens, extension tube, or other close up lenses are ideal), a tripod, and patience to explore, practice, and play. This class is intended for those with digital camera experience.
Reid Thaler is one of the best-known digital photography educators in the Bay Area having taught at local colleges and universities, and other community venues. He has helped students take their photographic skills to the next level. His patient and innovative teaching style has inspired students to achieve professional quality work.
-We will be meeting at the Red Barn Classroom in Bear Valley
– Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
– Refunds available for all classes 7 days in advance of the start date, after 7 days and before 2 days, participants can credit their class for a future date. All requests before 48 hours in advance will be declined. For COVID cancellation policy, see below.
– Please follow the parking instructions for the facility used that day
– Please provide an email you check regularly for updates and reminders about your class
– Registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes
– Sales end 48 hours before the start date.
– Waitlists are available when the class sells out
What to Bring:
Camera with ability to shoot close up, preferable with a macro lens or extension tubes
Warm Variable Weather Clothing
Notebook and Pen/Field Journal
Eventbrite Confirmation Email
About the PRNSA Field Institute:
The PRNSA Field Institute offers hands-on environmental education classes throughout the year that foster enjoyment of Point Reyes National Seashore. Our classes are led by expert instructors, who take you out of your everyday life and into the natural world. We host a variety of classes about the arts and sciences and have something for everyone. You can reach the Field Institute at (415) 663-1200 x304 or by email at email@example.com.
Interested in becoming a member of PRNSA? Click Here!
Interested in becoming a PRNSA Field Institute facilitator? Want to take classes for FREE while helping out a great cause? Give us a call!
Are you an outdoor educator or artist who would like to teach a PRNSA Field Institute class? Shoot us an Email!
For any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines
In accordance with Marin County and CDC guidelines for public health, we will require all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
• Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
• Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness.
• Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
During class all participants will be required to do the following
• Masks are optional outdoors for fully vaccinated individuals, but we recommend continuing to maintain a 4’-6’ distance from other participants or wearing a mask if gathered more closely together
• Unvaccinated individuals are required to wear a face covering at all times
• Masks are optional indoors for vaccinated participants but strongly recommended
• Bring your own food and water
• We reserve the right to modify requirements as recommended by NPS regulations or local county health orders at the time of class
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions will be made for participants cancelling last minute due to COVID-19 infection or symptoms. Please contact us in this case.
Thank you for your continuing cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.