Natural History at the Estero TrailSun, April 10
The peak of wildflower bloom should be an excellent time to take an exciting, eight-mile walk along the Estero trail to Drake’s Head overlooking Limantour Estero. Pausing to view the diversity of wildflowers and other plants along the trail will give us an opportunity to rest as well.
Of course we will also stop to view the many grebes, scoters, shorebirds and other waterbirds that are migrating by and feeding in the rich estuaries we will visit. Many landbirds will be in the midst of nesting activity and we will identify them by voice and sight.
Join us for a full day of natural history exploration in a less visited part of the National Seashore. We will be hiking by the only official wilderness area on the Pacific Coast and Drakes Estero truly is be a wild place. The hike starts at the Estero trail trailhead.
David Wimpfheimer is a professional naturalist and biologist. For thirty-five years David has pursed his passion, natural history of the America West. He enthusiastically shares his extensive knowledge about all aspects of the natural world with many groups including Smithsonian Institution, California Academy of Sciences, Road Scholar and Oceanic Society.
Photo Credit: Bill Helsel, used by permission
-We will be meeting at the Estero Trail Parking Lot
– Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
– Refunds available for all classes 7 days in advance of the start date, after 7 days and before 2 days, participants can credit their class for a future date. All requests before 48 hours in advance will be declined. For COVID cancellation policy, see below.
– Please follow the parking instructions for the facility used that day
– Please provide an email you check regularly for updates and reminders about your class
– Registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes
– Sales end 48 hours before the start date.
– Waitlists are available when the class sells out
What to Bring:
Warm Variable Weather Clothing
Notebook and Pen/Field Journal
Eventbrite Confirmation Email
About the PRNSA Field Institute:
The PRNSA Field Institute offers hands-on environmental education classes throughout the year that foster enjoyment of Point Reyes National Seashore. Our classes are led by expert instructors, who take you out of your everyday life and into the natural world. We host a variety of classes about the arts and sciences and have something for everyone. You can reach the Field Institute at (415) 663-1200 x304 or by email at email@example.com.
Interested in becoming a member of PRNSA? Click Here!
Interested in becoming a PRNSA Field Institute facilitator? Want to take classes for FREE while helping out a great cause? Give us a call!
Are you an outdoor educator or artist who would like to teach a PRNSA Field Institute class? Shoot us an Email!
For any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines
In accordance with Marin County and CDC guidelines for public health, we will require all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
• Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
• Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness.
• Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
During class all participants will be required to do the following
• We recommend that all participants continue to wear masks at this time, however, in accordance with CDC guidelines, exceptions can be made for fully vaccinated individuals
• Fully vaccinated individuals may remove masks for outdoor classes, but we recommend continuing to maintain a 4’-6’ distance from other participants
• Unvaccinated individuals are required to wear a face covering at all times
• At this time masks are required for all participants indoors regardless of vaccination status
• Bring your own food and water
• We reserve the right to modify requirements as recommended by NPS regulations or local county health orders at the time of class
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions will be made for participants cancelling last minute due to COVID-19 infection or symptoms. Please contact us in this case.
Thank you for your continuing cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.