Nature Speaks – Introducing Bird LanguageApril 10, 2022
Bird Language is an ancient skill that all our ancestors used to help them survive and thrive for thousands of years. Every other animal in the ecosystem is part of the conversation and understands what the birds are saying, relying on them as the “newsfeed” of the ecosystem. This interspecies communication is now, for us humans, almost a forgotten language.
“Birds talk to each other, we can understand them, and it’s fun!” Joe Ellis, National Audubon Society, Board of Directors
Together, we will practice nature connection through an experiential workshop that activates all of our senses to understand what the birds are communicating to each other and us. A different perspective than bird watching.
Spend some time with us mindfully tuning into the “five voices” of the birds and to the meaning behind their various flight patterns. Then in small groups, we will create maps of the activity in the area, revealing the “story of the day” as the birds tell us what’s going in their habitat.
Are the birds ever talking about you?
Learn for yourself what they are saying… join Peter Bergen for a Bird Language unveiling.
No previous birding experience necessary!
Suggested Reading : “What the Robin Knows” by Jon Young (Optional)
Peter Bergen is one of the most sought after Nature Connection Specialist in California. Famous for influencing and guiding children and adults in forging lifelong relationships with the Natural World, Themselves and Each Other. And his greatest allies in this deep nature connection work, are of course, the Birds.
Photo Credit: Sourced from Max Pixel
-We will be meeting at the Bear Valley Picnic Area
– Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
– Refunds available for all classes 7 days in advance of the start date, after 7 days and before 2 days, participants can credit their class for a future date. All requests before 48 hours in advance will be declined. For COVID cancellation policy, see below.
– Please follow the parking instructions for the facility used that day
– Please provide an email you check regularly for updates and reminders about your class
– Registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes
– Sales end 48 hours before the start date.
– Waitlists are available when the class sells out
What to Bring:
Low profile folding/camp chair or small tarp to sit on
Warm Variable Weather Clothing
Notebook and Pen/Field Journal
Eventbrite Confirmation Email
About the PRNSA Field Institute:
The PRNSA Field Institute offers hands-on environmental education classes throughout the year that foster enjoyment of Point Reyes National Seashore. Our classes are led by expert instructors, who take you out of your everyday life and into the natural world. We host a variety of classes about the arts and sciences and have something for everyone. You can reach the Field Institute at (415) 663-1200 x304 or by email at email@example.com.
Interested in becoming a member of PRNSA? Click Here!
Interested in becoming a PRNSA Field Institute facilitator? Want to take classes for FREE while helping out a great cause? Give us a call!
Are you an outdoor educator or artist who would like to teach a PRNSA Field Institute class? Shoot us an Email!
For any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines
In accordance with Marin County and CDC guidelines for public health, we will require all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
• Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
• Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness.
• Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
During class all participants will be required to do the following
• We recommend that all participants continue to wear masks at this time, however, in accordance with CDC guidelines, exceptions can be made for fully vaccinated individuals
• Fully vaccinated individuals may remove masks for outdoor classes, but we recommend continuing to maintain a 4’-6’ distance from other participants
• Unvaccinated individuals are required to wear a face covering at all times
• At this time masks are required for all participants indoors regardless of vaccination status
• Bring your own food and water
• We reserve the right to modify requirements as recommended by NPS regulations or local county health orders at the time of class
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions will be made for participants cancelling last minute due to COVID-19 infection or symptoms. Please contact us in this case.
Thank you for your continuing cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.