Oh No, Not Gulls!December 10, 2022
All birders have experienced that feeling of overwhelming frustration when trying to identify gulls. But this does not have to be the case. In this class, we will focus on developing a system for approaching gull identification in an enjoyable manner. One student once said “Lisa Hug makes gulls more interesting than they are.”
We will have a PowerPoint presentation in the morning followed by a field trip to put into practice what we learned in the morning. The PowerPoint presentation has a set of handouts which follow along with the material in the presentation. After a short lunch break, we will drive to either Bolinas Lagoon or Drake’s Beach, depending on conditions.
You will need to bring layered clothing, practical footwear (shoes that you don’t mind getting wet or rubber boots), lunch, water, field guide, binoculars and a spotting scope is highly recommended if you have one.
Lisa Hug has been teaching birding and natural history classes in Marin and Sonoma Counties for nearly 20 years. Her venues include College of Marin Community Education, Petaluma Adult School and others. She was previously an Interpretive Ranger for Point Reyes National Seashore. She has a master’s degree in science education.
Photo Credit: Bill Helsel
-We will be meeting at the Red Barn Classroom in Bear Valley, Point Reyes
– Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
– Refunds available for all classes 7 days in advance of the start date, after 7 days and before 2 days, participants can credit their class for a future date. All requests before 48 hours in advance will be declined. For COVID cancellation policy, see below.
– Please follow the parking instructions for the facility used that day
– Please provide an email you check regularly for updates and reminders about your class
– Registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes
– Sales end 48 hours before the start date.
– Waitlists are available when the class sells out
What to Bring:
Practical footwear (shoes that you don’t mind getting wet or rubber boots)
Binoculars and a spotting scope (if you have one)
Notebook and Pen/Field Journal
Eventbrite Confirmation Email
About the PRNSA Field Institute:
The PRNSA Field Institute offers hands-on environmental education classes throughout the year that foster enjoyment of Point Reyes National Seashore. Our classes are led by expert instructors, who take you out of your everyday life and into the natural world. We host a variety of classes about the arts and sciences and have something for everyone. You can reach the Field Institute at (415) 663-1200 x304 or by email at email@example.com.
Interested in becoming a member of PRNSA? Click Here!
Interested in becoming a PRNSA Field Institute facilitator? Want to take classes for FREE while helping out a great cause? Give us a call!
Are you an outdoor educator or artist who would like to teach a PRNSA Field Institute class? Shoot us an Email!
For any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines
In accordance with Marin County and CDC guidelines for public health, we will require all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
• Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
• Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness.
• Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
During class all participants will be required to do the following
• Masks are optional outdoors but we recommend continuing to maintain a 4’-6’ distance from other participants or wearing a mask if gathered closely together
• Masks are optional indoors but strongly recommended
• Bring your own food and water
• We reserve the right to modify requirements as recommended by NPS regulations or local county health orders at the time of class
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions will be made for participants cancelling last minute due to COVID-19 infection or symptoms. Please contact us in this case.
Thank you for your continuing cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.