Playing the Music of Point ReyesJuly 30, 2022
Using the acoustic instrument of your choice, you will develop ways to hear the natural soundscapes of Point Reyes and discover, through both abstract and specific musical elements, how to express this pristine soundtrack in your own music.
We will start with a discussion of universal musical forms, techniques, and content across all styles of music and how those elements can be used to evoke the natural world. Then we will spend the bulk of the class time doing individual song writing/composing in an isolated outdoor location using the ideas discussed to create a piece in the style and form the student is most experienced and comfortable doing. Periodically we will regroup to discuss progress, ask questions, and trade ideas.
The final 45 minutes we will regroup for a final discussion and also to give those who want a chance to perform their piece for the rest of the class.
No previous composing experience is needed nor is it limited to any specific style of music or ability level.
David Boye is a musician and composer who creates instrumental guitar music inspired by the infinite vistas of the natural world. His music expresses the sensations and wonders he experienced while serving as a National Park A-I-R. He tours annually presenting this music that evokes the wild beauty of the wilderness.
Photo Credit: Jakob Sailer
-We will be meeting at the Red Barn Classroom in the Bear Valley area of Point Reyes
– Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
– Refunds available for all classes 7 days in advance of the start date, after 7 days and before 2 days, participants can credit their class for a future date. All requests before 48 hours in advance will be declined. For COVID cancellation policy, see below.
– Please follow the parking instructions for the facility used that day
– Please provide an email you check regularly for updates and reminders about your class
– Registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes
– Sales end 48 hours before the start date.
– Waitlists are available when the class sells out
What to Bring:
An acoustic musical instrument of your choice.
A phone or device that allows for simple audio recordings.
Warm Variable Weather Clothing
Notebook and Pen/Field Journal
Eventbrite Confirmation Email
About the PRNSA Field Institute:
The PRNSA Field Institute offers hands-on environmental education classes throughout the year that foster enjoyment of Point Reyes National Seashore. Our classes are led by expert instructors, who take you out of your everyday life and into the natural world. We host a variety of classes about the arts and sciences and have something for everyone. You can reach the Field Institute at (415) 663-1200 x304 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in becoming a member of PRNSA? Click Here!
Interested in becoming a PRNSA Field Institute facilitator? Want to take classes for FREE while helping out a great cause? Give us a call!
Are you an outdoor educator or artist who would like to teach a PRNSA Field Institute class? Shoot us an Email!
For any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines
In accordance with Marin County and CDC guidelines for public health, we will require all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
• Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
• Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness.
• Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
During class all participants will be required to do the following
• Masks are optional outdoors for fully vaccinated individuals, but we recommend continuing to maintain a 4’-6’ distance from other participants or wearing a mask if gathered closely together
• Unvaccinated individuals are required to wear a face covering at all times
• Masks are optional indoors for vaccinated participants but strongly recommended
• Bring your own food and water
• We reserve the right to modify requirements as recommended by NPS regulations or local county health orders at the time of class
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions will be made for participants cancelling last minute due to COVID-19 infection or symptoms. Please contact us in this case.
Thank you for your continuing cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.