Spring Migration at Point Reyes – New Date AddedFri, May 5
Explore the varied habitats of Point Reyes National Seashore at the peak of the bird breeding season. Identification of many species by sight and sounds will be a major focus.
Around Bear Valley we will look for resident and neotropical breeding species, including Pacific-slope and several other flycatchers, vireos, sparrows and warblers. Grebes, loons and other waterbirds will be our focus at Drakes Beach. Osprey, Red-shouldered Hawk and Northern Harrier are raptors that frequent these areas. The class may visit other coastal locations as well to view seabirds.
The class will focus on identification and bird behavior in a series of short walks.
David Wimpfheimer is a professional naturalist and biologist. For forty years David has pursed his passion, natural history of the America West. He enthusiastically shares his extensive knowledge about all aspects of the natural world with many groups including Smithsonian Institution, California Academy of Sciences, Road Scholar and Oceanic Society.
-We will be meeting at the Bear Valley Picnic area across from the Visitor Center
– Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
– Refunds available for all classes 7 days in advance of the start date, after 7 days and before 2 days, participants can credit their class for a future date. All requests before 48 hours in advance will be declined. For COVID cancellation policy, see below.
– Please follow the parking instructions for the facility used that day
– Please provide an email you check regularly for updates and reminders about your class
– Registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes
– Sales end 48 hours before the start date.
– Waitlists are available when the class sells out
What to Bring
Binoculars are required
Warm Variable Weather Clothing
Notebook and Pen/Field Journal
Eventbrite Confirmation Email
About the PRNSA Field Institute
The PRNSA Field Institute offers hands-on environmental education classes throughout the year that foster enjoyment of Point Reyes National Seashore. Our classes are led by expert instructors, who take you out of your everyday life and into the natural world. We host a variety of classes about the arts and sciences and have something for everyone. You can reach the Field Institute at (415) 663-1200 x304 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in becoming a member of PRNSA? Click Here!
Interested in becoming a PRNSA Field Institute volunteer facilitator, or are you an outdoor educator or artist who would like to teach a PRNSA Field Institute class? Send an Email!
For any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines
In accordance with Marin County guidelines for public health and safety, we ask all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
• Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
• Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness
• Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
• Masks are optional but are strongly recommended when indoors or if gathered closely outside
• Please bring your own food and water
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions will be made for participants cancelling last minute due to COVID-19 infection or symptoms. Please contact us in this case.
Thank you for your cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.