Trees of Limantour RidgeJune 19, 2021
Meet the arboreal residents that call Point Reyes home. Whether you know them by sight or all you see is “green,” come learn to identify species along with their stories and how they interact with the ecosystem at large. No prior knowledge necessary for this gentle hike.
We’ll gather in Bear Valley for an interactive exercise on plant anatomy and identification, with fresh samples. In the field, we’ll hike at a gentle pace, applying new knowledge, and learning about the special interconnections of each tree with the environment, focusing on examples we find in the field—think fire, insects, reproduction, competition, etc.
Naomi Sorbet loves sharing the diversity and drama of plants and their fascinating, foundational roles within ecosystems. Inspired by the nature of Point Reyes, she studied Environmental Sciences and Forestry at UC Berkeley. Naomi is a frequent hiker and has worked in naturalist education, environmental restoration, and sustainable forestry.
-We will be meeting at the Bear Valley picnic tables across from the visitor center
– Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
– Refunds available for all classes 7 days in advance of the start date, after 7 days and before 2 days, participants can credit their class for a future date. All requests before 48 hours in advance will be declined. For COVID cancellation policy, see below.
– Please follow the parking instructions for the facility used that day
– Please provide an email you check regularly for updates and reminders about your class
– Registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes
– Sales end 48 hours before the start date.
– Waitlists are available when the class sells out
What to Bring:
Warm Variable Weather Clothing
Notebook and Pen/Field Journal
Eventbrite Confirmation Email
About the PRNSA Field Institute:
The PRNSA Field Institute offers hands-on environmental education classes throughout the year that foster enjoyment of Point Reyes National Seashore. Our classes are led by expert instructors, who take you out of your everyday life and into the natural world. We host a variety of classes about the arts and sciences and have something for everyone. You can reach the Field Institute at (415) 663-1200 x304 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in becoming a member of PRNSA? Click Here!
Interested in becoming a PRNSA Field Institute facilitator? Want to take classes for FREE while helping out a great cause? Give us a call!
Are you an outdoor educator or artist who would like to teach a PRNSA Field Institute class? Shoot us an Email!
For any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines
In accordance with Marin County and CDC guidelines for public health, we will require all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
• Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
• Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness.
• Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
During class all participants will be required to do the following
• We recommend that all participants continue to wear masks at this time, however, in accordance with CDC guidelines, exceptions can be made for fully vaccinated individuals if desired.
• Fully vaccinated individuals may remove masks for outdoor classes if they continue to maintain a 6’ distance from other participants.
• Unvaccinated individuals are required to wear a face covering unless farther than 6’ from other participants in an outdoor class.
• Continue to maintain a 6 foot physical distance from other participants not belonging to your household
• Bring your own food and water
• Current group sizes are still limited, there will be no physical contact or sharing of food and drink, and no shared physical equipment or materials unless they are sanitized before and after use, and used by only one person for the duration of class
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions will be made for participants cancelling last minute due to COVID-19 infection or symptoms. Please contact us in this case.
Thank you for your continuing cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.