Pole Hiking Training in Point ReyesAugust 6, 2022
Learning how to use poles enables you to engage your whole body while hiking and significantly improves performance and confidence on varied terrain. Uphill pole techniques empower you to feel more push, improving your endurance and pace; downhill techniques help save your knees, hips and spine!
Optimal use of poles improves your posture, balance and upper body strength. Using and strengthening core muscles helps preserve your joints which prevents stress or strain in the hands, wrists, elbows, shoulder and neck.
Engaging your whole body while hiking uses more calories which facilitates weight management while – at the same time – lowers perceived exertion. You work harder, but feel more energy and endurance. Learn individualized skills that will reduce knee stress, improve back health, prolong agility and enable you to look around at nature instead of down at your feet.
A variety of top quality poles will be available to help you discover which poles fit you best and can help you to achieve your goals. Hikers of all experience levels are welcome, from novice to advanced. Practice new skills on a nature pole-practice hike. Easy, relaxed pace. This session is about learning anatomically optimal techniques and skills that will enhance your outdoor adventures, regardless of how rigorous or gentle they are. Class size is extremely limited so sign up early to reserve your space.
Feel the rhythm, feel the power of POLES! The triple win of poles – you’re outside in beautiful Point Reyes, using your whole body and connecting with your buddies.
Instructor’s website and blog provide info on classes, exercises, adventures as well as training which helps people of all ages and abilities to learn skills and techniques that enable them to achieve their fitness goals and more fully enjoy the outdoors:
Jayah Faye Paley is an ACE certified Trainer and Mobility Coach and the creator of an award-winning training on how to use POLES for Hiking, Walking and Mobility. Since 1998, Jayah has taught seminars helping and inspiring people of diverse abilities to achieve their fitness goals and more fully enjoy the outdoors using poles.
-We will be meeting at the Red Barn Classroom in the Bear Valley area of Point Reyes
– Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
– Refunds available for all classes 7 days in advance of the start date, after 7 days and before 2 days, participants can credit their class for a future date. All requests before 48 hours in advance will be declined. For COVID cancellation policy, see below.
– Please follow the parking instructions for the facility used that day
– Please provide an email you check regularly for updates and reminders about your class
– Registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes
– Sales end 48 hours before the start date.
– Waitlists are available when the class sells out
What to Bring:
Very Light lunch/snack
Warm Variable Weather Clothing
Notebook and Pen/Field Journal (optional)
Eventbrite Confirmation Email
About the PRNSA Field Institute:
The PRNSA Field Institute offers hands-on environmental education classes throughout the year that foster enjoyment of Point Reyes National Seashore. Our classes are led by expert instructors, who take you out of your everyday life and into the natural world. We host a variety of classes about the arts and sciences and have something for everyone. You can reach the Field Institute at (415) 663-1200 x304 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in becoming a member of PRNSA? Click Here!
Interested in becoming a PRNSA Field Institute facilitator? Want to take classes for FREE while helping out a great cause? Give us a call!
Are you an outdoor educator or artist who would like to teach a PRNSA Field Institute class? Shoot us an Email!
For any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines
In accordance with Marin County and CDC guidelines for public health, we will require all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
• Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
• Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness.
• Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
During class all participants will be required to do the following
• Masks are optional outdoors for fully vaccinated individuals, but we recommend continuing to maintain a 4’-6’ distance from other participants or wearing a mask if gathered closely together
• Unvaccinated individuals are required to wear a face covering at all times
• Masks are optional indoors for vaccinated participants but strongly recommended
• Bring your own food and water
• We reserve the right to modify requirements as recommended by NPS regulations or local county health orders at the time of class
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions will be made for participants cancelling last minute due to COVID-19 infection or symptoms. Please contact us in this case.
Thank you for your continuing cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.