Sunset Kayak Tour at Drakes EsteroSun, July 3
Join our partners from Blue Waters Kayaking for this evening kayak trip on Drakes Estero and enjoy the colors of sunset from the water, the surrounding wildlife, or whatever natural beauty the estero chooses to reveal during this midsummer paddle!
We will meet at the parking lot of the former Drakes Bay Oyster Farm. After organizing gear, reviewing basic kayaking instructions and safety procedures, we’ll launch our kayaks and paddle out along Schooner Bay towards one of the other coves or fingers of Drakes Estero.
The waters and hillsides of Drakes Estero are rich in wildlife. As we glide over the eelgrass beds and kelp forest we’ll keep our eyes and ears open for harbor seals, bat rays, leopard sharks and a variety of land, water and shore birds.
All guided tours are in tandem closed deck sea kayaks. Our double kayaks track well, are difficult to capsize, and are easy to maneuver. All the necessary gear such as life jackets, paddles, and spray skirts is provided.
Participants must register in pairs.
We’ll go rain or shine.
-We will be meeting at the Drakes Estero Kayak Launch
– Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
– Refunds available for all classes 7 days in advance of the start date, after 7 days and before 2 days, participants can credit their class for a future date. All requests before 48 hours in advance will be declined. For COVID cancellation policy, see below.
– Please follow the parking instructions for the facility used that day
– Please provide an email you check regularly for updates and reminders about your class
– Registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes
– Sales end 48 hours before the start date.
– Waitlists are available when the class sells out
What to Bring:
Come prepared for variable weather. Bring clothes that reflect your degree of sensitivity to heat and cold.
Sunscreen & lip balm.
Hat: with sun visor or/and wool and fleece hat for cool weather.
Long-underwear, no cotton.
Quick-dry shorts or baggy nylon pants that can be rolled up.
Shoes you don’t mind getting wet: sandals and wool socks, wetsuit booties, aqua socks or rubber boots in cool weather.
Long sleeve: wool, capilene, poly pro, or some other synthetic material, no cotton.
Sweater: pile, fleece or wool pullover.
Change of clothes, including dry shoes.
1 liter (minimum) water bottle.
High-energy snacks and light meal.
About the PRNSA Field Institute:
The PRNSA Field Institute offers hands-on environmental education classes throughout the year that foster enjoyment of Point Reyes National Seashore. Our classes are led by expert instructors, who take you out of your everyday life and into the natural world. We host a variety of classes about the arts and sciences and have something for everyone. You can reach the Field Institute at (415) 663-1200 x304 or by email at email@example.com.
Interested in becoming a member of PRNSA? Click Here!
Interested in becoming a PRNSA Field Institute facilitator? Want to take classes for FREE while helping out a great cause? Give us a call!
Are you an outdoor educator or artist who would like to teach a PRNSA Field Institute class? Shoot us an Email!
For any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines
In accordance with Marin County and CDC guidelines for public health, we will require all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
• Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
• Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness.
• Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
During class all participants will be required to do the following
• Masks are optional outdoors for fully vaccinated individuals, but we recommend continuing to maintain a 4’-6’ distance from other participants or wearing a mask if gathered closely together
• Unvaccinated individuals are required to wear a face covering at all times
• Masks are optional indoors for vaccinated participants but strongly recommended
• Bring your own food and water
• We reserve the right to modify requirements as recommended by NPS regulations or local county health orders at the time of class
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions will be made for participants cancelling last minute due to COVID-19 infection or symptoms. Please contact us in this case.
Thank you for your continuing cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.