Take Flight! Beginning Birding for FamiliesSun, March 5
Discover why birding has become a popular family hobby during this hands-on beginning birding class. We will begin our day exploring skulls, bones, feathers, and nests. After learning field identification basics, we’ll hit the trail with binoculars in hand in search of our feathered friends.
During the walk, we’ll be on the lookout for birds as diverse as American Robins, Western Bluebirds, California Quail, Acorn Woodpeckers and Hawks. Along the way we’ll play games to help us find, and learn about, birds, here in the park, in your neighborhood and beyond!
Bring your favorite young companion and a sense of wonder and join us for an interactive and fun day of observing, investigating and learning that teaches us about the fascinating life of birds.
Children must be accompanied by an adult. This class is for children ages 5-10 with their adult chaperone. We will be meeting at the Red Barn Classroom in Bear Valley, Point Reyes.
Sharon Barnett is a thoughtful and enthusiastic trail guide and dynamic naturalist. She teaches science at Marin Country Day School and is the Hiking Marin Trails instructor for College of Marin. She is the co-founder of Marin Nature Adventures (www.marinnature.com), has volunteered with myriad organizations including Marin Audubon Society, SPAWN, EAC of West Marin, The River Otter Ecology Project and ViviendasLeón. Sharon most recently founded California Toad Crew (www.caltoadcrew.org) and is the 2011 Terwilliger Environmental Award winner.
Photo Credit: Jessica Weinberg
-We will be meeting at the Red Barn Classroom in Bear Valley, Point Reyes
– Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
– Refunds available for all classes 7 days in advance of the start date, after 7 days and before 2 days, participants can credit their class for a future date. All requests before 48 hours in advance will be declined. For COVID cancellation policy, see below.
– Please follow the parking instructions for the facility used that day
– Please provide an email you check regularly for updates and reminders about your class
– Registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes
– Sales end 48 hours before the start date.
– Waitlists are available when the class sells out
What to Bring
Binoculars (if you have them). We will have a limited number available to borrow.
Warm Variable Weather Clothing
Notebook and Pen/Field Journal
Eventbrite Confirmation Email
About the PRNSA Field Institute
The PRNSA Field Institute offers hands-on environmental education classes throughout the year that foster enjoyment of Point Reyes National Seashore. Our classes are led by expert instructors, who take you out of your everyday life and into the natural world. We host a variety of classes about the arts and sciences and have something for everyone. You can reach the Field Institute at (415) 663-1200 x304 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in becoming a member of PRNSA? Click Here!
Interested in becoming a PRNSA Field Institute volunteer facilitator, or are you an outdoor educator or artist who would like to teach a PRNSA Field Institute class? Send an Email!
For any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines
In accordance with Marin County guidelines for public health and safety, we ask all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
• Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
• Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness
• Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
• Masks are optional but are strongly recommended when indoors or if gathered closely outside
• Please bring your own food and water
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions will be made for participants cancelling last minute due to COVID-19 infection or symptoms. Please contact us in this case.
Thank you for your cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.