Woodward Fire Recovery and MoreApril 16, 2022
In August 2020 lightening ignited a fire in the Point Reyes National Seashore which eventually burned almost 5000 acres. It was declared out in January 2021. Part of the fire zone overlapped areas burned during the Mount Vision Fire in 1995 which burned 12,000 acres. Learn about the differences between the two fires while observing post-fire recovery. If you imagine visions of a dead, blackened forest, the resilience of the area will delight you!
On the way up Sky Trail there will be time to look at everything the area has to offer from wildflowers to butterflies and birds until we reach the burn area. From there, the focus will be on fire ecology until we leave the burn area after lunch.
Meet at the Sky Trail parking lot on Limantour Road. Please carpool if possible as parking is limited.
Wendy Dreskin has been teaching the popular class Meandering in Marin at College of Marin since 1998 and Point Reyes Field Seminars since 2005. In recognition of her work inspiring both children and adults, she was awarded the Terwilliger Environmental Award and inducted into the Marin Women’s Hall of Fame.
Photo Credit: Biret Adden
-We will be meeting at the Sky Trail parking lot
– Please arrive 10-15 minutes early to check in
– Refunds available for all classes 7 days in advance of the start date, after 7 days and before 2 days, participants can credit their class for a future date. All requests before 48 hours in advance will be declined. For COVID cancellation policy, see below.
– Please follow the parking instructions for the facility used that day
– Please provide an email you check regularly for updates and reminders about your class
– Registration is required online prior to the event in order to maintain class sizes
– Sales end 48 hours before the start date.
– Waitlists are available when the class sells out
What to Bring:
Feel free to bring your hiking poles if you normally use them (not required)
Warm Variable Weather Clothing
Notebook and Pen/Field Journal
Eventbrite Confirmation Email
About the PRNSA Field Institute:
The PRNSA Field Institute offers hands-on environmental education classes throughout the year that foster enjoyment of Point Reyes National Seashore. Our classes are led by expert instructors, who take you out of your everyday life and into the natural world. We host a variety of classes about the arts and sciences and have something for everyone. You can reach the Field Institute at (415) 663-1200 x304 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in becoming a member of PRNSA? Click Here!
Interested in becoming a PRNSA Field Institute facilitator? Want to take classes for FREE while helping out a great cause? Give us a call!
Are you an outdoor educator or artist who would like to teach a PRNSA Field Institute class? Shoot us an Email!
For any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
COVID-19 Field Institute Guidelines
In accordance with Marin County and CDC guidelines for public health, we will require all participants to respect the following COVID-19 procedures:
• Perform a health self-check before coming to class using the CDC Symptoms of Coronavirus as a guide
• Do not attend class if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, suspect you have been exposed to the virus, or are suffering from any other flu-like or respiratory illness.
• Participants exhibiting signs of respiratory illness may be asked to leave class
During class all participants will be required to do the following
• We recommend that all participants continue to wear masks at this time, however, in accordance with CDC guidelines, exceptions can be made for fully vaccinated individuals
• Fully vaccinated individuals may remove masks for outdoor classes, but we recommend continuing to maintain a 4’-6’ distance from other participants
• Unvaccinated individuals are required to wear a face covering at all times
• At this time masks are required for all participants indoors regardless of vaccination status
• Bring your own food and water
• We reserve the right to modify requirements as recommended by NPS regulations or local county health orders at the time of class
NOTE: Refund policy exceptions will be made for participants cancelling last minute due to COVID-19 infection or symptoms. Please contact us in this case.
Thank you for your continuing cooperation in following these guidelines to help keep everyone safe.